Individuals who often wrestle with an upset abdomen, heartburn, or acid reflux disease, could select to take a Tums to neutralize abdomen acid and scale back the consequences of GI (gastrointestinal) upset. As a canine proprietor, it’d make sense to ask, “can I give my canine Tums?” Tums’ lively ingredient is calcium carbonate (every pill often comprises 1000 mg of calcium carbonate), an antacid that helps neutralize heartburn-causing acid within the esophagus and abdomen. If taking a Tums can carry immediate aid for our heartburn or indigestion, can it additionally assist your canine if he’s experiencing signs of GI upset or different abdomen issues?
Picture by @master1305 from FreePik
Earlier than providing your canine a Tums, examine together with your veterinarian first. Tums can worsen some medical circumstances in canines, improve calcium blood ranges, and intrude with some prescription drugs. It’s all the time greatest to speak with your veterinarian earlier than providing any over-the-counter drugs to your good friend canine.
In brief, are you able to give a canine Tums? The quick reply is sure, however there are some things to contemplate first.
How Do Tums Work in Canine?
The calcium carbonate in Tums works to lift the digestive tract’s pH by neutralizing abdomen acid. Providing a Tums to your greatest good friend may also help him really feel higher, nevertheless, it could not supply your canine as a lot aid. The calcium carbonate in Tums just isn’t as “bioavailable”  as it’s in people. Because of this the calcium will primarily go via the digestive tract with out being absorbed as a result of canines digest issues extra shortly than people. Some pups could expertise little constipation after taking it, particularly in the event that they eat a big quantity. Tums are comparatively protected for canines, supplied they don’t comprise any synthetic sweeteners. Don’t give your pet Tums which are sweetened with sorbitol or aspartame, as these synthetic sweeteners could cause some GI upset, and don’t use when it comprises xylitol as it’s extremely poisonous.
Can I Give My Canine Tums for an Upset Abdomen? Or Fuel?
Like people, canines can often undergo from heartburn, gastrointestinal (GI) upset, and fuel. Heartburn signs in your furry good friend embrace unhealthy breath (halitosis), drooling, and decreased urge for food. Indicators of an upset abdomen embrace diarrhea, vomiting, fuel, and abdomen ache. Tums are often protected to present usually wholesome canines who aren’t taking different drugs, however you’ll wish to examine together with your veterinarian first. Additionally, some antacids are used to deal with sure types of kidney illness, however antacids reminiscent of Tums could make some forms of kidney illness worse. It’s greatest to talk together with your veterinarian first about the best way antacids can your greatest good friend’s well being.
Are Tums Dangerous for Canine?
Tums usually are not unhealthy for canines, however as talked about above, the advantages usually are not as bioavailable as they’re in people. You can provide your canine a Tums to assist him really feel higher however all the time examine together with your veterinarian first. Under are listed some circumstances the place Tums could cause some issues on your pup.
- Medicines. Tums can intrude  with different drugs reminiscent of ranitidine, Ketoconazole, corticosteroids, tetracyclines, or digoxin. In case your canine is on any drugs, seek the advice of your veterinarian earlier than providing a Tums.
- Kidney Operate. Tums usually are not as efficient as different veterinary drugs, and in case you have a canine with kidney issues, providing Tums may trigger hypercalcemia (excessive ranges of calcium within the blood), and exacerbate kidney and urinary perform.
- Continual GI Points. In case your pooch has power GI points, make an appointment together with your veterinarian. Tums shouldn’t be used long-term, and your veterinarian could make extra acceptable suggestions reminiscent of modifications in food regimen or prescribing drugs.
- Synthetic Dyes. Tums usually are available a wide range of colours and might trigger allergic reactions in canines with delicate stomachs.
- Puppies and Nursing Moms. In puppies or nursing moms, additional calcium can negatively affect bone and cartilage improvement in creating puppies, so it’s essential to keep away from utilizing it in lactating moms and puppies.
- Xylitol. Some Tums merchandise comprise xylitol which is extremely poisonous for canines. Xylitol is a synthetic sweetener and in even small quantities could cause drastic hypoglycemia, liver failure, seizures, and even loss of life. All the time examine the substances in Tums earlier than providing it to your pet.
READ MORE: Best Dog Food for Sensitive Stomach
Picture by Karolina Grabowska from Pexels
How Many Tums Can I Give to my Canine?
In fact, it’s greatest to seek the advice of your veterinarian earlier than administering Tums to your pet, nevertheless, if you happen to assume your canine may benefit from a Tums, the right dose varies as to the power of Tums and the load of your pup. It’s best to present tablets with meals, and the dose varies from as little as 1200 mg (principally 1 pill) to twenty grams (2 tablets). The really helpful dose for many canines as an antacid is 0.5-5 grams by mouth as soon as each 4 hours as wanted.
The really helpful doses are listed beneath, however ensure you seek the advice of your veterinarian first.
- Small breeds (20 kilos and beneath): 1250 mg per 24 hours.
- Medium breeds (20-50 kilos): 2 grams to 4 grams per 24 hours.
- Giant breeds (50-85 kilos): 4 grams to six grams per 24 hours.
- Large breeds (over 85 kilos): 6 to 10 grams orally per 24 hours.
Can canines have Tums or Pepto-Bismol?
Along with Tums, canines also can have Pepto-Bismol, nevertheless, Pepto (often known as Bismuth subsalicylate) works greatest for abdomen points relatively than for decrease gastrointestinal points. Nevertheless, most veterinarians not often suggest utilizing Pepto regularly because the salicylates within the product could cause gastric bleeding, and the bismuth can flip stools black.
There are not any documented interactions between Tums and Pepto-Bismol, so that you could possibly give each. However, as all the time, seek the advice of your veterinarian first earlier than giving any over-the-counter human medicine to your canine.
Precautions When Giving Tums to Canine
Earlier than giving your canine Tums, all the time examine together with your vet first. There are additionally a number of precautions to contemplate.
- By no means give Tums which have synthetic sweeteners. Some Tums comprise a sugar different referred to as xylitol, which may be very poisonous for canines.
- Look ahead to allergic reactions. Tums comprise not solely calcium carbonate but in addition different substances reminiscent of sugar and meals coloring.
- The calcium in Tums can exacerbate kidney perform, particularly in canines with renal insufficiency.
- Tums could cause some canines to have unfastened stools and in some circumstances, constipation.
- The substances in Tums can negatively work together with different drugs.
- Giving Tums to puppies and younger canines could intrude with correct bone development and improvement.
What are Protected Options to Tums?
There are alternate options to Tums in case your canine suffers from diarrhea, vomiting, heartburn, or abdomen ache. Nevertheless, your veterinarian can prescribe sure drugs on your greatest good friend that may additionally supply GI help. Some alternate options are listed beneath.
Typically helpful microbes within the GI tract are destroyed, which may trigger abdomen upset and different points. If your loved ones good friend suffers from power diarrhea or associated points, your veterinarian could recommend giving your pup probiotics to spice up GI perform and nutrient absorption.
2. Particular food regimen
Some canines could exhibit GI and abdomen issues resulting from meals or meals allergy symptoms. Seek the advice of your veterinarian, and maybe strive a food regimen trial or a restricted ingredient meals. You might also wish to strive a bland food regimen for just a few days particularly in case your pooch has abdomen points or suffers from just a few delicate episodes of abdomen upset.
3. Pepto Bismol (bismuth subsalicylate)
Pepto Bismol is protected to supply most canines, however it could actually trigger gastric bleeding, and the bismuth Pepto Bismol can flip the stool black. The really helpful  dose for many canines is 1 teaspoon per 5-10 kilos, given each 6-to-8 hours. Notice: By no means give cats Pepto Bismol as it’s extremely poisonous to them.
4. Immodium (loperamide)
You can provide your canine Immodium for diarrhea, and the right dose is one 2 mg capsule per 40 kilos of physique weight 2-to-3 instances each day, however you shouldn’t exceed three doses in 24 hours and don’t use for greater than 48 hours. If diarrhea doesn’t resolve, contact your veterinarian.
5. Pepcid (famotidine)
Pepcid, or famotidine, is available in 10 mg tablets. It’s an antacid, and canines can obtain one 10 mg pill per 20 kilos of physique weight each 12-to-24 hours, one hour earlier than a meal. Examine together with your veterinarian first to confirm the dose on your pet.
6. Tagamet (cimetidine)
Like Pepcid, Tagamet reduces acid manufacturing within the GI tract and is used off-label in veterinary medication to deal with or forestall stress, drug reactions, abdomen or intestinal ulcers, or esophageal irritation. The dose of Tagamet for canines is 3-5mg per pound of physique weight.
READ MORE: How to Give Medicine to a Dog?
My Canine Ate Tums. What Ought to I do?
Should you suspect that your canine has ingested Tums, particularly a big amount, contact your veterinarian immediately. If this occurs, you could develop into fearful about potential poisonous unwanted side effects, however since they’re primarily composed of calcium carbonate, they’re unlikely to do your pet appreciable hurt. The excellent news is that calcium carbonate just isn’t as readily absorbed by your pup, and usually passes via the digestive tract.
Nevertheless, if you happen to suspect that your pet has ingested Tums that embrace synthetic sweeteners or Xylitol, contact your veterinarian instantly. You may also contact the 24/7 Pet Poison Helpline at (855)764-7661 or the ASPCA Animal Poison Management Middle hotline at (888) 426-4435. There could also be a cost for the calls, however the poison management consultants on the opposite line may also help decide whether or not your pet is at risk.
RELATED ARTICLE: Signs of Dog Poisoning
Picture by James Barker on Unsplash
The commonest indicators of upset abdomen in canines are diarrhea and vomiting. Should you assume your canine has only a case of an upset abdomen, strive giving a Tums utilizing the dosing chart above, or a Pepcid or some Pepto Bismol. You may also strive providing him a gentle food regimen of steamed white rice and boiled rooster with out the pores and skin for a day or two. Nevertheless, if signs persist, give your veterinarian a name.
As mentioned above, there are a number of antacids you may supply your canine, together with Tums, Pepcid, or Ranitidine. Antacids are drugs that make the most of inorganic salts that perform to cut back the buildup of abdomen acid. These drugs usually are not as efficient in canines because the proton pump inhibitors (PPIs), which primarily block the widespread pathway of acid manufacturing within the abdomen.
The reply is sure however all the time double-check together with your veterinarian first. The dose for Tums is 0.5-5 grams by mouth as soon as each 4 hours, and the dose for Pepto Bismol is 1 teaspoon by mouth per 5-10 kilos, given each 6-to-8 hours. But when your canine vomits up the Pepto-Bismol, name your veterinarian.
Pepto Bismol, Tums, Pepcid (famotidine), and Tagamet (cimetidine) could be given to your canine for an upset abdomen or heartburn. These drugs work by reducing the manufacturing of GI acids and might make your greatest good friend really feel higher. Though it’s completely OK to make use of these drugs often for abdomen upset, you must contact your veterinarian if signs persist.
READ MORE: 10 Reasons Why Your Dog Snore
Tums can supply some aid on your pup if he’s affected by abdomen upset or heartburn, and if you happen to observe the recommendation outlined above, there are issues you are able to do to supply your greatest good friend some aid. Nevertheless, it’s endorsed to contact your veterinarian first earlier than giving any medicine by your self.
- Hanzlik, Robert. “Relative Bioavailability of Calcium from Calcium Formate, Calcium Citrate, and Calcium Carbonate.” PubMed, 25 Feb. 2021, pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15734899/.
- “Antacids – Pet, Canine and Cat Remedy and Prescription Listing.” PetMD, 2 Apr. 2021, petmd.com/pet-medication/antacids.
- Donovan, Liz. “Dosages of OTC Medicines That Are Canine-Pleasant.” American Kennel Membership, 7 Mar. 2018, akc.org/expert-advice/health/is-pepto-bismol-safe-for-dogs/.