For many years in a row, dogs have lived next to people. The Labrador is a particularly friendly breed, so you can safely take it into the house. These dogs live well at home, especially if there are children in the family. When bringing a Labrador into the house, you should not forget that this dog is domestic. He will not be the protector of the person and the guard of the apartment.
When buying a puppy, it is advisable to get to know its owner and mother.
You will carefully examine the baby and get acquainted with his behavior, it is also worth studying the main standards of the breed.
Labrador dogs are taller than average. They are quite compact in build and with a voluminous head.
In males, the average height is 57 centimeters, weight is about 30 kilograms, and the height of bitches is 56 centimeters, weight is 26 kilograms.
The teeth are medium in size, strong and straight paws. A distinctive feature of the breed is its tail. It should be long enough, thickened at the base and tapered towards the end.
The main rules for choosing
Labrador puppies are lovely, very cute little lumps. They will bring joy and positive emotions to any home in which they grow. Before buying a dog for home, you should decide for what purpose it is needed.
Some buy for hunting or fishing, others take it as a companion, and still others just for fun. The next step in choosing a dog should be gender: boy or girl. You should also decide on the color: white or black.
At the moment when you need to choose a Labrador puppy, the following points should be avoided:
- Underweight. A newborn Labrador female or boy is about the same weight. However, too little weight in a Labrador is unacceptable.
- Narrow and thick ears. In addition to the fact that the dog should be of normal weight, it is also worth taking a closer look at its ears. A defect in this breed is erect or semi-hanging ears.
You should not take a puppy whose ears are set too low on the head, it does not matter whether it is a boy or a girl.
- Weak paws. In order to choose the right healthy puppy, you need to pay attention to his paws. Avoid non-parallel and weak forelegs, as well as barrel-shaped hind legs.
- Eyes with colorless pupils. A Labrador puppy should have brown or hazel pupils.
- Too long tail. In a puppy of this breed, the tail should be thick at the base and hang down no lower than the hock.
- Unusual behavior. It doesn’t matter what month the puppy is, its behavior should be playful. Do not take a shy or too aggressive puppy.
- Diseases. Many dogs may have an open fontanelle, an umbilical hernia, or an inguinal hernia at birth. This point should be taken very carefully.
Whatever month the puppy is, it needs to be carefully examined. It is necessary to clearly know what should be the weight, ears, paws, eyes, tail and behavior. If there is any abnormality, then the dog is either unhealthy or a cross.
White or black
Initially, when the Labrador breed first attracted attention, these dogs were exclusively black in color.
Yellow or fawn dogs were considered defective. A little later, in 1924, these colors were included in the breed standard.
Unfortunately, chocolate Labrador puppies are rarely born.
Since Labrador puppies are one of the most adorable creatures on earth, however, do not forget that they will grow into a large dog.
When wondering which color to choose, you need to remember the following:
- Golden Labradors. Many reviews of owners of dogs with this color indicate that such a dog brings a lot of positive emotions.
- Chocolate Labradors. This color is very rare and quite special. Chocolate Labrador puppies look very unusual. But in the summer period its intensity is lost, the coat strongly fades in the sun.
- Black Labradors. A dog of this color looks very nice and solid. And another advantage is that dust and dirt are not very noticeable, since the Labrador is black.
Among the breeders of such dogs, there is a perception that they are not at all photogenic, especially when the dog has already become an adult.
- Dudley color. This color in dogs is not allowed by the standard and is characterized by a lack of certain pigments. But if a dog is bought for the soul, then you can safely take a vending puppy.
- Silver Labrador Retriever. This color is very beautiful and just as rare. In some cases, it is called a white labrador.
At first glance, it may seem that the dog is sluggish and weighs little. But the cost of such a puppy will be very high.
There are two types of food: natural food, dry food.
The first month from birth, the puppy should feed on mother’s milk. Further, it should be transferred to a separate food.
Many experts recommend starting to give food or feed as early as the third week.
For the first 2-4 months, the dog should eat 5 times a day. From 4 to 6 months – 4 times a day. From 6 months to 8 – it is recommended to feed 3 times a day.
When the dog is over 9 months old, it is gradually switched to two meals a day.
When feeding your puppy with natural food, it is worth remembering that he needs many vitamins and minerals. And also daily need to consume calcium and phosphorus.
The daily diet of a little friend should include:
- fish (not fatty);
- cottage cheese;
- fruits (apples);
- vitamins of group A, B, E, C;
- various minerals.
Many owners, in order not to waste time on cooking, buy dry food for their dog.
It is best to feed your Labrador puppy with premium food.
Such a product, quite balanced, has everything necessary for a growing organism.
It also simplifies the fact that a table is drawn on the packaging of dry food. With its help, knowing the age and weight of the pet, you can calculate how much feed he needs per day.
Buying a puppy
“How much does a labrador puppy cost?” Is one of the most frequently asked questions. The following parameters affect the price:
- Color. Since the chocolate color is rare in a Labrador, such a puppy will cost more than with a golden or fawn color.
- Title. If you buy a puppy in a kennel or from titled parents, the price will definitely be higher than if you buy a puppy on the street or in the poultry market.
- Litter quality. An important role is played by the quality of the litter in which the puppy was born. Litter must go through various procedures, club registration, get the necessary cards.
The appearance and weight of the puppies must be acceptable. They should also be vaccinated and etched from worms.
- Age. An experienced and responsible breeder will not be tempted to sell puppies too early. The optimal age for sale is considered to be 2-3 months.
If you want to save money, you can choose an older puppy. The older they are, the cheaper they are.
This breed of dog is quite hardy and strong. Average life expectancy is 12-18 years. The quality of life of a Labrador must be complete.
The dog should walk, run, or simply be outdoors on a regular basis.
The food must also be fresh and meet the dog’s requirements. It depends on how much the puppy weighs and what its appearance is.
Do not forget about regular visits to the veterinarian. The doctor must carefully examine the dog, measure its height and weight, and also make all the necessary vaccinations for certain months.
A dog is man’s best friend. And those who do not believe in it simply have never had such friends in their lives. When planning to buy a Labrador, it is worth remembering that they live long enough and will always be there.